USAF Thunderbirds are coming to Cheyenne
Volunteers are needed during the air show and practice in July
The U.S. Air Force Thunderbirds
will once again grace the skies of Cheyenne performing graceful acrobatics and breathtaking maneuvers.
Billed as one of the top air shows in the nation, the Thunderbirds will perform a practice flight on Monday, July 21 and their air show on Wednesday, July 23.
The following is information about the schedule, shuttle services and a call for volunteers to help with the practice and air shows.
Practice flight: Monday, July 21
- 1 p.m. - College Drive closes completely between Avenue C and Fox Farm Road. No traffic will be allowed to enter LCCC
- 1:30 p.m. - Practice flight
- 3 p.m. - College Drive opens
Air show: Wednesday, July 23
- 7:30 a.m. - College Drive closes to through traffic between Avenue C and Fox Farm Road. Campus opens for spectator parking
- 9 a.m. - College Drive closes completely. No traffic will be allowed between Avenue C and Fox Farm Road
- 9:30 a.m. - Performance begins
- 10:30 a.m. - College Drive reopens
Avoid parking issues. Take the free shuttle. The free shuttle buses run from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., departing from and returning to:
- Holliday Home Plaza - Nationway and Windmill Road (Ashley Furniture parking lot)
- Cheyenne Plaza - East Lincolnway and College Drive (Hobby Lobby parking lot)
Volunteers are needed to help make this year's air show a spectacular event. Volunteers will get a great seat to watch the show, get treated to a barbecue, and get a free t-shirt, plus have the satisfaction of helping thousands of people enjoy the event.
To volunteer, a person has to be least 16 years old and be available during two days. The practice day starts at 11 a.m. on Monday, July 21 with a free barbecue for volunteers and their families. After a briefing at 11:45 p.m., the volunteers can watch the Thunderbirds practice flight, which starts at 1:30 p.m.
Volunteers must arrive by 6 a.m. on Wednesday, July 23, for the official show. A volunteer's main duties include giving directions and answering questions for spectators at the event.
This year marks the return of the Thunderbirds air show after having to cancel last year's event. Those interested should call 307.778.1322 or 307.778.1382.