Program updates are in progress, please refer to the 2016-2017 course catalog (PDF) for program information.
Associate of Science
The Laramie County Community College Exercise Science program is concerned with the many aspects of human movement and its application to physical activity and the quality of one’s life. This program is suggested for students who are interested in a career in exercise science, sports medicine, physical therapy, athletic training, physical education teacher education (PETE), occupational therapy or related fields.
Students complete coursework that provides a solid knowledge base of human anatomy, physiology, chemistry and health. Two program tracks are available depending on the student’s interest and career goals. All students must complete the general education core and complete either the Exercise Science track or the Physical Education Teaching (PETE) track. Students are urged to study carefully the specific requirements of the institutions to which they plan to transfer. Based on student transfer needs, course substitutions are possible; however, the degree requirements must be met. Please see an Exercise Science advisor for a suggested program schedule.
The Exercise Science track leads to an associate of science degree and is designed to provide students quality academic and professional preparation in the scientific study of human movement. The program offers a sound theoretical foundation and practical applications. While students must receive a bachelor’s degree, many of these fields also require a master’s degree or beyond.
- Identify the structures and functions of the human body.
- Demonstrate the relationships among physical activity, health and nutrition.
- Identify methods to maintain health through injury prevention and rehabilitation.
- Identify ways to maintain health throughout the human lifespan.
- Demonstrate, teach and evaluate physical activity skills.
- Demonstrate the basic principles and benefits of lifetime fitness. (adopted Aug. 1, 2012)
This program is articulated with the following institution. Any deviations from the prescribed course list will not articulate.
- Colorado Mesa University - Signed Agreement
- Exercise Science: University of Wyoming - Signed Agreement
- Physical Education Teacher Education: University of Wyoming - Signed Agreement
For a map and specific hours these facilities are open for personal use, see the PE Recreation and Fitness web page.
- Aerobic center featuring a state-of-the-art oak dance floor.
- Climbing wall for bringing the outdoors inside.
- Gym with a full regulation court and two half-courts. The two half-courts use retractable baskets.
- Multipurpose room with four indoor tennis and volleyball courts.
- 25-meter swimming pool with 6 lap lanes and a diving board.
- Oak-floored racquetball courts.
- Free weight room featuring HardKore floor machines, Hammer Jammer, and free-weight areas.
Cost of Attendance
For general college expense, view LCCC’s tuition and fees. Student in the Exercise Science concentration have additional estimated course fees expense of $105. *This is an estimate and may change at any time. This estimate may vary due to the variety of online, hybrid and face to face offerings available. Course fees may be higher for one modality when compared to another.