International Student Employment

Rules and Regulations

  • International students are limited to working a maximum of 20 hours per week on campus during the fall and spring semesters.
  • International students can work up to a maximum of 40 hours per week during the summer and winter breaks.
  • International students are limited to working only on campus.
  • International students can work off campus only if they are on curricular/optional practical training, academic training, or have an economic hardship work permit (see below for more information).
  • International students must by in F-1 status for at least one academic year before they can apply for CPT/OPT, academic training or an economic hardship work permit.
  • To learn more about working on campus, contact Human Resources at hrFREELARAMIE or 307.778.1289. 

Social Security Card

  • You must first find a job and be hired before the appropriate letters can be written for a Social Security card.
  • You must see the international student advisor for the paperwork needed to obtain a Social Security card.
  • A Social Security card is no longer issued for the following situations:
    • Obtaining a driver's license
    • Opening a bank account
    • Applying for a credit card
    • Applying to rent an apartment or home
    • Filing federal or state taxes

Economic Hardship Work Permit

  • This work permit only allows for students to work off campus for a maximum of 20 hours per week during the fall and spring semester.
  • You must make an appointment with the international student advisor to discuss your application.
  • The international advisor makes a recommendation to USCIS but does not authorize employment.
  • The financial problems must be due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control. The financial problem must be documented and show a substantial need.
  • Documentation should be included to support the application.
  • You may not apply until you have been in F-1 status for one academic year and are in good academic standing.
  • You MUST make a good faith attempt to find a campus job first. If on-campus employment is unavailable or insufficient, be able to document this.
  • If USCIS approves the application, an Employment Authorization Document (EAD) will be issued. You may not find employment until the EAD card has been issued.
  • Employment is restricted to 20 hours per week when school is in session and 40 hours per week during vacation periods.
  • Acceptance of employment must not interfere with carrying a full course of study.